A serious testing error in Reactor No. 4 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant caused an explosion and within seconds, the radioactive started to release in the surrounding area which is 400 times more powerful than the atomic bomb explosion on Hiroshima.
Also Read:Top 6 Worst Disasters In The World.
The area is still enormously suffering the deadly effects of the explosion even after a quarter century. It may be difficult for the rest of the world to imagine the deadly effects of the blast and the destruction that it has made on the land, people and children. Even the scientists cannot predict the after effects of the incident and what future hold for those lives in that area.
Some of the interesting facts about the Chernobyl disaster are:
1. Three men on duty entered into the radioactive pool in order to open a pipe. Unaware of the after effects and the nature of explosion, they didn’t mind to take proper safety measures. They died on the spot but could prevent explosion which is 10 times bigger than the explosion in Hiroshima. The three volunteers who died at the explosion zone are the true victims of this tragedy. A monument erected in front of the fire station of the area as an honor of the victims.
2. There were high levels of radiation at the spot and the volunteers who died in the radioactive pool were placed even in lead coffins for safety. Even if the people who clean the site of disaster wore radiation suits, they could work safely not more than 40 seconds.
It is believed that two days were taken by the authorities for evacuating the area was too late. People in the area were affected with heavy radiation in those two days. The radioactive rain that helped the people to realized about the disaster and the devastation that it caused.
3. The people in the city were not aware of the explosion till 2 days. Even the world knew about the incident only after when a radiation detector in Sweden went off. The authorities in Ukrainian thought to keep the nuclear incident an all times big secret. Swedes came to the scene first to rescue the people in the area. Some of the guys from Forsmark Nuclear Power Plant approached the Ukrainian authorities and pushed them to admit the truth.
4. After the first explosion, multiple explosions and fires followed and radiation started to spread through the atmosphere. The radiation caused by the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant was many times powerful than the explosion on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
The death rate was too high after the explosion. After the first explosion the reading of the Geiger counter at the control room was 3.6 which is a safe unit. In fact, the device was designed up to a reading of 3.6 and the real reading was 15,000.
5. The high radiation from the explosion made 485 villages and settlements in the area uninhabitable. The unwillingness of Soviet authorities to evacuate the local residents made the things worse. Many people died and a lot of people became disabled because of that. It was believed that the radiation was so high and intense and due to that reason even the firefighters got their eye color changed from brown to blue. Many people who have been affected by the radiation died of cancer.
6. Now the explosion zone is a wildlife sanctuary. Many animals like foxes and wolves and several other endangered species roaming freely there away from human hunters. Approximately 2600 Sq. km area is under the exclusion zone. Even today, many villages in this area are buried underground due to high level of radiation.
Also Read:Top 6 Haunted Places In The World.
For this purpose, the government brought clean new soil to the villages and planted forests. They believe that it will speed up the cleaning process in the area.